Frigid Temps are here. With that comes the ambiance of the fireplace. The Firefighters Association has shared some safety tips for operating and maintaining a fire.
- Always open the damper or flute before starting a fire and keep it open until fire is completely out and the ashes are cooled.
- Clear the area of any flammable materials such as drapes, furniture, rugs, or magazines.
- Use a Starter Log if you need help lighting a fire. Never use lighter fluid, gasoline, or other substances, as these can lead to explosions.
- Pay attention to the fire. Even when it looks like its died down, embers can relight quickly.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on hand at all times and test your smoke detectors regularly.