Juvenile in critical condition after fleeing law enforcement in Philadelphia


A 17-year-old is in critical condition due to an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound after fleeing from Philadelphia Police on Monday, December 25, 2023.

Officers saw the teen parked in a vehicle with bullet holes and a missing rear window at the Neshoba County Library and attempted to identify him.  The teen is said to have fled from officers who then pursued him.  The vehicle came to a stop in the median on Hwy 19.  Philadelphia Police and Neshoba Deputies approached the vehicle and saw the 17-year-old was unresponsive and bleeding from the head.  Law enforcement broke the window to gain entry to the vehicle and saw a handgun in the juvenile’s lap.  Officers rendered first aid to the juvenile while waiting for EMS to arrive.  He was transported to Anderson Regional Medical Center and later to UMMC where he is in critical condition.

Philadelphia Police Chief, Eric Lyons says the bullet holes and rear window that was shot out of the vehicle is believed to have happened earlier on Christmas day.  This is an ongoing investigation and more information will be released when it is available.

The press release from Philadelphia Police Department reads:
“The Philadelphia Police Department was involved in a car chase which ended with a 17 year male shot.  On December 25, 2023 at approximately 11:19 PM a Philadelphia Police Officer noticed a vehicle parked in the parking lot of the Library with bullet holes and rear window shot out.  Officer made contact with the driver and attempted to identify him. Officer observed open container of alcohol in the console as well as odor of what he believed to be marijuana coming from inside the vehicle and believed him to be under the influence.  Driver was later identified as a 17 year old male. Officer returned back to his vehicle and radioed for an additional officer to assist him.  While doing so the juvenile sped off going the wrong way on Beacon St.  Officers pursued the vehicle as it turned onto Range Ave and continued onto County Road 505.  Vehicle turned 492 East and South onto Hwy 19 towards Meridian. Approximately 1 mile onto Hwy 19, officers observed as the vehicle began to drift off the road and into the median before coming to a stop.  Officers from the Philadelphia Police Department and Neshoba County Sheriff’s Department approached the vehicle and noticed that the juvenile was unresponsive and bleeding from the head.  Officers burst the window to gain entry into the vehicle and observed a handgun in his lap. Officers realized that the blood was from a gunshot wound to the head.  Officers rendered first aid to the juvenile while awaiting EMS.  He was transported to Anderson Hospital and later to UMMC.  Juvenile was in critical condition at last check.  MBI was contacted and notified of this incident.  This case is still ongoing at this time.  PD will have more information as it comes available.”